Roasted beets are paired with feta and their rich flavours contrast nicely with the tartness of lemon vinaigrette. This salad makes for a delicious accompaniment to the heavier meals of the fall. The oven roasting technique used here is a great all-purpose way to prepare beets for a wide array of dishes.
- 6 beets
- 6-8 large lettuce leaves
- 3 oz feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice and grated peel of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tbsp of peel and 3 tbsp of juice)
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Trim beet stems but leave peels on for now. Drizzle olive oil over beets and then wrap individually in aluminum foil.
2. Roast beets at 400F for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
3. While beets are cooking, whisk vinaigrette ingredients together. Leftover vinaigrette will keep for several days in the fridge.
4. Remove beets from the oven and unwrap. Allow to cool 10-20 minutes.
5. If beets are sufficiently cooked and cool enough to handle, you should be able to slide their peels off without much effort. Coarsely chop peeled beets.
6. Lay chopped beets over a bed of lettuce and then sprinkle with feta. Serve with vinaigrette dressing.