Wilted Spinach Salad
We're near the end of spinach and this week we're starting to pack tasty garlic scapes into the food boxes. So what to do? Throw the two together with some feta and dried cranberries for a delicious salad!
1 large bowl of spinach
3 garlic scapes
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
50 g feta, crumbled
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Wash spinach and set aside in a large bowl.
2. The top part of the garlic scape (the part that looks like a bulb or flower bud and beyond) is the toughest, so I typically cut it off and use the more tender bottom portion.
3. Dice the garlic scapes.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil on low-medium and cook garlic scapes for 5 minutes.
5. Add garlic scapes to spinach and mix.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and add feta, melting and stirring for 1 minute.
7. Add 2 tbsp vinegar and mix quickly, taking the pan off the heat.
8. Add to spinach and garlic scapes and mix thoroughly, wilting the spinach and coating it in the dressing.
9. Sprinkle cranberries (or dried fruit of your choice) on top. Nuts would also be a great addition.
Sylvia is still skeptical about the deliciousness of spinach, but we're working on it!