Our second of two recipes from vegan cook extraordinaire: Natalie! This one is my favorite, it's so yummy. Zucchini, patty pan squash and potatoes stand in for the traditional lasagna sheet pasta, making this dish gluten free and loaded with fresh garden flavour. Vegan cashew cheeze holds it all together, but those of us who eat dairy can opt for the more standard ricotta or cottage cheese. I challenge you to try the cashew cheeze if you never have before, its lightly nutty taste works so well with the roasted veggies.
- 2 large pattypan and/or zucchini squash, sliced into 1/2 inch thick sections
- 2 lbs potatoes, washed well and sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick ovals
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt to taste
- 2 lbs/1 pint Roma or other fresh garden tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano (fresh or dried)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Cashew Cheeze (or 2-3 cups ricotta/cottage cheese in it's place):
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 block (454 g) Firm or Extra Firm tofu
- 1/2 cup fresh (or 1 tsp dried) basil
- olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or melty cheese, whatever you'd like!
To prepare noodles:
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Coat squash and potato slices in olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and place on them on baking sheets.
2. Roast at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your slices or if you only use one baking sheet.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce:
1. Chop tomatoes and set in a colander (in a bowl or the sink) with about 2 tablespoons of salt for 15 minutes. This should reduce the juice...and don't worry, most of the salt will drain with the juices.
2. Once they are ready, coat a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan with the oil and set to medium/high heat.
3. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, then add oregano, salt, pepper, and the tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. If desired, blend with an immersion blender to eliminate any remaining chunks or skin.
Lastly, ready the cashew cheeze:
1. Place the cashews, garlic, salt and oil in a food processor or blender and process into a paste. Add the tofu and lemon juice and blend until the mixture reaches a spreadable consistency. Adding water is sometimes necessary depending on the type of tofu used.
2. Once smooth, add the basil and pulse to chop and combine.
Now put it all together:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9 x 11 pan.
2. Layer the lasagna. First a layer of squash to cover the pan. Make sure to cover the pan completely.
3. Next all of the potatoes.
4. Half of the cheeze/cheese.
5. Half of the sauce.
6. The remaining squash.
7. The remaining cheeze/cheese.
8. The remaining sauce.
9. Lastly add your topping of choice. We chose sliced tomatoes for this late summer feast!
10. Cover in foil and bake for 15 minutes with it on, then 15 with it off. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.