Juicy, ripe tomatoes are slow cooked in olive oil on a bed of basil until they nearly fall apart. You can use the resulting chunky sauce over pasta or rice, mixed with other veggies or meat, or simply over toast. The smell that will waft through your house while this dish is in the oven is too delicious for words.
- fresh basil, enough to cover the bottom of an oven safe dish
- 5-7 tomatoes, depending on size
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place basil in an even layer on the bottom of an oven safe dish.
3. Peel tomatoes (this can be done raw or you can blanch first to make it a bit easier to peel). Cut in half.
4. Lay tomatoes on top of basil layer, core-side down.
5. Pour olive oil over as evenly as possible and sprinkle salt.
6. Bake for 90 minutes.
7. Mix basil and tomatoes together and serve. Enough for 4 as a side dish but can served over pasta, meat etc. as a main course for 2 (see above for suggestions).