Colourful carrots make for a vibrant salad, and this time of year we have carrots in spades and are looking for ways to use them. Visit an apple orchard and pick some red apples to toss in for even more colour. A bright, citrusy vinaigrette and some toasted nuts tie all the flavours together as well as keep the apples from turning brown. I made this recipe for our big Thanksgiving feast, so it'll serve at least 4 adults. Cut the amounts in half for a smaller, more mundane occasion, like Tuesday night.
- 3-4 carrots (ideally in a mix of colours)
- 1 large or 2 small apples
- ½ cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
1) Peel and cut carrots into thin, matchstick-sized strips with either a knife, mandolin or grater.
2) Cut apples into similarly sized thin strips or matchsticks (I leave the apple peel on).
3) Melt butter on medium heat and toast pine nuts until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
4) Finely chop parsley.
5) Combine carrots, apples, parsley and pine nuts (when cooled).
6) Combine dressing ingredients and pour over slaw. Mix well and serve.