There are many versions of this popular dish. This one skips the heavy breading and uses the abundant fresh tomatoes of late summer in place of tomato sauce. It's critical to drain the tomatoes first as they have a high water content and can make the final result too watery.
- 2-3 eggplants
- 180 g mozzarella, grated
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- olive oil
1. Slice eggplant into roughly 1/4 inch slices.
2. Thinly slice tomatoes, salt and drain in a strainer over the sink to get rid of excess water.
3. Beat eggs lightly. Individually dip eggplant slices in eggs before frying in olive oil on medium heat.
4. Fry until eggplant is golden brown on both sides. You many need to add olive oil to the pan once or twice as eggplant absorb oil while they cook.
5. In a baking dish, start layering ingredients. Begin with eggplant slices.
6. Cover eggplant with tomatoes, minced garlic and grated mozzarella.
7. Continue layering in that order until the baking dish is full.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.
9. Let rest for at least 10-15 minutes out of the oven before serving to allow eggplant to absorb some of the juices in the baking dish. Yummy!